2 adults and 2 kids
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Measuring jug
- 3 carrots
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 1–2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 8 mushrooms
- 3 tomatoes or a 400 g tin of tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 150 ml of low-fat milk
- pinch of salt if desired
- 1 low-salt vegetable stock cube dissolved in 575 ml of boiling water
- Wash, peel and dice carrots, turnips and parsnips. Wash and chop leeks, chop onion and slice mushrooms. Skin and chop tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry onion and mushrooms.
- Add carrots, turnips, parsnips and leeks and fry gently.
- Gradually stir in the milk.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes, pepper and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Cover saucepan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes.